Dr. Seidman and his team are proud to offer top-notch dental care to young and old alike. With a practice focused on treating patients of all ages it’s possible to schedule your whole family’s dental visits together at our convenient Midtown dentist office.
If you have a cavity you can experience anything from periodic sensitivity to an uncomfortable toothache. But even if you don’t have any pain it’s a good idea to get regular checkups at your Midtown dentist office to catch tooth decay early – if left untreated, a cavity can cause irreversible damage to the nerve of the tooth, infection and tooth loss.
Cavities are a sign of tooth decay, which develops because of bacteria contained in your dental plaque (the sticky coating that builds up over time on your teeth). These bacteria produce acids that can de-mineralize or eat away at healthy tooth structure. Without the proper care dental decay can work its way to the inner layers of your tooth and compromise its structure. You could be at greater risk for developing a cavity depending on several factors, including:
- Oral Hygiene: Brushing and flossing every day, in addition to regular cleanings from your dentist, can minimize the chances of developing a cavity.
- Nutrition: Avoid sugary or highly acidic food and drinks can promote tooth decay.
- Dry Mouth: If your mouth doesn’t produce adequate dental saliva, because of a medical condition or prescription drugs, cavities are more likely to develop.
- Grinding your Teeth: Chronic teeth grinding (or “bruxism”) can strip away the layer of enamel that helps protect against tooth decay.
- Receding Gums: Exposed tooth roots don’t have the protection of an outer layer of dental enamel, making cavities more likely to form.
Luckily, with regular checkups and professional cleaning, you can minimize your chances of getting a cavity. Dr. Seidman and his team can remove plaque and debris from teeth, even from places where a toothbrush can’t reach like underneath the gum line and in-between teeth. Contact our Midtown dentist office today to schedule an appointment!
59 East 54th Street Suite Lobby 4
New York, NY 10022